no longer a slave

"I was a slave to self", he said
"to my body
my twisted mind
my rotting soul
chains of deceit snaked in and out
of my every moment
I wanted women, drugs, booze
to bow and serve me
and I was so lonely.
I didn't see, didn't know,
I was a slave to death and sin
hell and Lucifer.
And so empty.
Then the Word reached in
Truth pierced through the chains
Blood rained from the clouds and washed my sins away
til I stopped kicking and screaming
I was blind, but He touched my eyes and now I see
No longer a slave,"
- And his dark eyes glowed with joy -
"A prisoner of hope you see."




I suppose I am putting words into Lecrae's mouth by writing this as coming from him, but when I wrote it I was thinking about the transformation of the gospel from the lowest of places to righteousness and growth and Lecrae has been a huge mentor for me. I have definitely seen these things in his life so I don't think this is too much of a stretch =)

Comments

Melany said…
I love that line- prisoner of hope. you use it in your song as well, and it's so captivating. i put it as a working title for the cd you gave me.

Popular posts from this blog

and the darkest of hours was the best day ever

be my friend